Sunday, June 1, 2014

Retro Children's Day: World of Illusion Video Review

This article was originally posted on October 12, 2010 in the Passagem Secreta (in Portuguese) blog, and with the permission from the author (Rafael Fernandes) and the founder of the blog (Marcos Valverde), I publish it here translated into English.
Retro Children's Day: World of Illusion Video Review

Brazilian cover of the game World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck

In contribution to the Children's Day Meme (in Portuguese) in which several blogs are joining, I bring you something a little different. Since we all have enough stuff to read today, we found interesting the idea of doing a video review, testing a formula that I was trying to implement some time ago on the blog ― and that was never implemented due to the lack of time resulted from the proletarian exploitation which we suffer daily. But let's not deviate from the main subject, so let's get right to the topic.

World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck is a Mega Drive game that represented something special. The Children's Day in 2000 fell on a Thursday, so my father decided to take me to the video game rental shop to take advantage of the long weekend deals ― renting on Wednesday, you would just return games on Monday. I was sad to get there and realize that, due to the lack of space for other releases, the owners decided to sell the entire catalog of Mega Drive games, which was the largest of all other video game rentals close to my home. I spent hours deciding which cart should I rent, and I remember that I had access to several classics thanks to that rental ― like Streets of Rage 3, which I first played the Japanese version, that was only available there.

Much of the “good” games were no longer on the shelf. It had no more Sonic games, or from the Streets of Rage series, and even the shelf of RPGs was empty. However, there was a cartridge there that I had rented before and had greatly enjoyed, despite having not finished it in time before returning it; precisely the World of Illusion. I immediately picked it up and begged for my dad to take it, for the measly sum of 20 reais ― fairly cheap for him, since the games at Casa&Video cost around twice of what he paid on average.

I took it with box, manual and a bonus: The smell of the video game rental shop. Easy to say that this cartridge amused me for a long time, mainly because that was one of the few games that my sister played with me.

So, let's see the video. It is not something long, specially for not taking your time. The video was originally saved with 60 frames per second, but unfortunately YouTube lowered it to 30. Just a nerd detail!
Click here to watch the video on Amara website
I hope you enjoyed, but do not forget to comment, even if it is a negative review. Depending of it, much more will come!

And Happy Children's Day To All!

No comments

Post a Comment

Write a comment! Be polite!
Pay no attention to the entry posting time. If you have a thought to share, do it by writing your message here! We are happy to see the readers' expressions, and we also like to know what you think!